This Easy Slow Cooker Crockpot Creamy Chicken Taco Soup is the perfect dump-and-go recipe. Simply add your chicken breasts, beans, broth, and vegetables to the pot and let it do the work. This dish is great for meal prep and weeknight dinners.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
What Type of Chicken to Use
I use skinless chicken breasts. You can also use chicken thighs. Dark meat tends to have more flavor, is more tender, and will follow the same cook time noted in the recipe.
Feel free to grab a rotisserie chicken and/or use fully cooked chicken. If using cooked chicken combine the ingredients and heat/cook until warm.
How to Add Flavor to the Soup
I love to use my Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe which includes smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper if you like a spicy kick.
You can also use a store-bought package if you like. I love to make my own because it’s cheaper and the store packs usually have added sugar and preservatives.
How to Make Slow Cooker Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Add chicken, broth, beans, corn, onions, garlic, and spices to the slow cooker.
- Slow cook.
- Open the pot, remove the chicken and shred. Add it back to the pot along with cream cheese.
Can You Use Frozen Chicken Breasts?
If using frozen chicken it typically follows the same cook time or will need additional time, up to around an hour.
Other Vegetables and Substitution Ideas
- Fresh Spinach
- Green Beans
Cook Time/How Long to Cook
Cook the soup for 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low.
How to Store
The dish will last for 3-4 days tightly sealed in the fridge.
How to Reheat
You can reheat leftovers in the microwave or on the stove on medium heat.
You can freeze the soup for up to 2-3 months. I love to use these Souper Cube soup molds to freeze leftovers.
More Taco Recipes
Slow Cooker Chili Mac and Cheese
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
Taco Bell Breakfast Crunchwrap
Taco Bell Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
Leftover Taco Meat Bowls
Blackened Fish Tacos
Slow Cooker Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
More Soup Recipes
Slow Cooker Crockpot Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Lasagna Soup
Slow Cooker Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup
Sweet Potato Soup
Ham and Vegetable Soup
Leftover Turkey Wild Rice Soup
Instant Pot Tomato Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Ramen Soup
Buffalo Chicken Soup
Easy Slow Cooker Crockpot Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 garlic cloves Minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 15.5 oz canned black beans
- 15.5 oz canned red beans
- 15.5 oz diced chilies and tomatoes
- 1 cup corn Frozen, canned, or fresh.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz cream cheese Softened. If your cream cheese isn't softened it will take some time to melt into the soup.
Homemade Taco Seasoning (You can use a store-bought packet if you wish).
- shredded cheese
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- tortilla strips
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add all of the ingredients (except for the cream cheese) to the slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low.You can opt to add your spices, salt, and pepper at the end once the dish has cooked so that you can start low, build, and season to taste.
- Open the pot. Remove the chicken and shred. Add it back to the pot along with the cream cheese. Stir.
- Serve once the cheese has melted.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Place the Instant Pot on the saute setting. Add the garlic and onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes until both are soft.
- Add all of the ingredients (except for the corn and cream cheese) to the Instant Pot.
- Close the pot and seal. Cook on Manual High-Pressure for 20 minutes.
- When the pot indicates it has finished, allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes instead of quick release.
- Open the pot. Remove the chicken and shred. Add it back to the pot along with the cream cheese and corn. Stir.
- Place the Instant Pot on the saute function. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the corn is soft and the cheese has melted.