This recipe is an oldie, but a goodie! Back in the day, I experimented a lot with recipe creation. I was obsessed with whole wheat pasta dishes. I am actually still obsessed, so maybe some things never change. Back then, adding salmon to a pasta dish seemed daring to me. Shrimp was pretty much the only seafood I added to pasta dishes regularly. Salmon seemed like a bold choice. It was also my preferred choice in this situation because I wanted a high protein meal. I have made this dish with a few different pasta varieties. Farfalle and rotini are my favorites.
Calories: 434 Fat: 19.3G Net Carbs: 27G Protein: 31G
Baked Salmon with Whole Wheat Farfalle and Asparagus
- 6 ounces whole wheat rotini pasta
- 16 ounces of salmon skinless
- 1 cup non-fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups of asparagus sliced into small pieces
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-fat Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon Bon Appetit Seasoning
- Salt or Montreal Chicken, pepper, and McCormick’s Grill Mates Salmon Seasoning to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Slice the asparagus into small pieces. Place the asparagus in a medium sized bowl.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper to the bowl. Toss to coat the asparagus completely.
- Rub the salmon on both sides with the remaining olive oil. Season the salmon with the seasonings.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and spray with cooking spray (if foil is used).
- Place the salmon and asparagus on the baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the salmon turns light pink.
- Remove the salmon and asparagus and allow it to cool.
- Change the temperature on the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the drained pasta, cottage cheese, feta, and green onions to a large bowl. Season with salt pepper, dill weed, and the Bon Appetit Seasoning.
- Using a knife and fork, divide the salmon into smaller pieces.
- Add the salmon and asparagus to the bowl to combine all of the ingredients.
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Add the mixture to the dish. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool.