Red velvet cake is one of the few cake desserts that I like, so how about Skinny, Low-Calorie Red Velvet Cupcakes with Reduced-Fat Cream Cheese Frosting and Vanilla? Red velvet cake is typically made with cream cheese frosting which isn’t overbearing and loaded with tons of sugar. I am not a huge fan of overly sweet foods, so I am SUPER picky about desserts.
A friend of mine reached out for my help with planning a surprise birthday party for another friend. She asked if I could bring red velvet cupcakes. I was elated and nervous at the same time. I was happy she requested red velvet (because I would actually want to eat the cupcakes, too).
I was nervous because I am not a huge baker. I do not bake sweets often. I would eat dessert more often if it was prepared my way, the SNATCHED way. I firmly believe I can snatch pretty much any recipe and make it macro-friendly. That is exactly what I did with this recipe.
Calories: 84 Fat: 1.7G Net Carbs: 14G Protein: 2.7G
Instead of using vegetable oil (which is loaded in fat and calories) I used Greek yogurt for the filling. I used cage-free egg whites instead of whole eggs. For the icing, I used reduced-fat cream cheese and 1/4 cup of powder sugar. Those few modifications made a huge difference.
I brought two pans of cupcakes to the party and left empty handed. My friends loved them! Several people had no idea these cupcakes were snatched. While mingling, I was having a conversation with a friend’s girlfriend. She mentioned she felt guilty for eating a cupcake. She had no idea I made the cupcakes and that they were not loaded with calories and sugar. I was so happy I could let her know these are guilt-free cupcakes!
Guilt-Free Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill a muffin tray with cupcake liners
- Combine the cake mix, Greek yogurt, water, egg whites, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Mix for 2-3 minutes using an automated mixer.
- Fill each of the cupcake liners with batter.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. (Mine were good right around 13-14 minutes.)
- Heat the cream cheese in small bowl in the microwave for 20 seconds to soften.
- Add the powdered sugar to the bowl. Using a mixer, beat on high until the frosting becomes thick. Add in 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Continue to beat until the texture becomes creamy.
- When the cupcakes have cooled, spread frosting on the top of each. Sprinkle with red sugar.