This Homemade Yellow Gravy Without Drippings is made from scratch, without Thanksgiving turkey or giblets meat juices. Use this make-ahead gravy for turkey, chicken, ham, mashed potatoes, and more!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper
Seasoning and Spices
Whenever you make gravy without drippings be sure to season to taste or the gravy will be bland. You can use any of your favorite spices. Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper work well.
How to Make Yellow Gravy Without Drippings
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Heat a saucepan or skillet on medium heat. Add butter.
- When melted, add flour.
- Add broth.
- Taste repeatedly and add onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste as needed.
How to Thicken the Gravy
A butter and flour roux will create a nice and thick gravy. I like to add my broth in slowly until I get the consistency of gravy I am looking for.
How to Thin Out Gravy When It’s Too Thick
Thick gravy can be smoothed out by adding additional broth or stock to the pot.
Can You Use Turkey Drippings or Drippings from Meat?
Absolutely! Check out my Turkey Graving From Drippings recipe.
How Long Will Homemade Gravy Last?
Store the gravy tightly covered and sealed for 3-4 days.
You can freeze leftover gravy covered and tightly sealed for up to 6 months.
Pair With These Side Dishes
Pair With These Main Dish Recipes
Yellow Gravy Without Drippings
- Heat a saucepan or skillet on medium heat. Add the butter.
- When melted, add in the flour. Add it in stages and stir continuously to avoid clumping. This will create a roux, which will thicken the gravy.
- Add 1 cup of broth and the spices. Stir until the gravy begins to thicken. If the gravy is too thick, add additional broth. Stir (and continue to add broth) until the gravy reaches your desired consistency.
- Whisk continuously (be patient) to remove any clumps.
- Taste repeatedly and add salt and pepper to taste as needed.