Easy Low-Carb Keto Taco Soup is the perfect stovetop recipe for the season! This soup is loaded with ground beef, fresh vegetables, and homemade taco seasoning. You can substitute chicken or add ranch if you wish!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Keto Essential Cookbook is available NOW for FREE! For a hard copy, you only pay the shipping and handling. Get over 100+ scrumptious recipes with net carb, fat, protein, and calorie count for every recipe. Click here to purchase yours today!
Looking for a keto-friendly soup recipe? Look no further. This taco soup recipe is the bomb dot com!
The great thing about this soup is the healthy toppings are endless! You can make this a ranch taco soup recipe by using my Homemade Keto Ranch Dressing. Ditch the ranch seasoning packet and make your own.
What Kind of Soups Can You Eat on Keto?
Can you eat soup on a keto diet? Absolutely! The key to finding or making the best low carb soups is to identify what items aren’t low carb and be sure to omit those ingredients from soup recipes.
I have found that most soups and chilis can be adjusted simply by omitting an item like beans or substituting some vegetables like carrots for another vegetable that is low in carbs.
Are Beans Keto?
Most beans and legumes and not keto-friendly. They have a lot of fiber, but typically still have high net carbs. As such, they should be removed from most keto soup recipes and chili.
How to Make Keto Taco Soup
- If you are looking to save time on washing dishes, definitely use a Dutch oven. That way you can ground the beef and cook the soup all using one pan.
- Cook the ground beef (medium-high heat) in the Dutch oven along with onions, green peppers, and some olive oil.
- Break down the ground beef using a meat chopper and add the taco seasoning.
- When browned, add the garlic, tomato sauce, Rotel, and beef broth.
- Lower the heat to low and cover the pot. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Open the pot and add the optional cream.
How Many Calories and Carbs
This soup has 278 calories and 6 net carbs per serving.
How to Make the Soup Using a Slow Cooker Crock Pot
If you are looking to make a similar dish using a slow cooker, this Slow Cooker Taco Chili would be a great method to use. You can omit the beans for a lower carb version.
If you use the heavy cream in this recipe, keep in mind that dairy will separate upon freezing. The soup will last for 4-6 months in the freezer.
How Long Will the Soup Last in the Fridge?
The soup will last in the fridge for 3-4 days in a covered container.
Keto Low Carb Soup Recipes
More Keto Recipes
Click here for a complete listing of Keto Low-Carb Recipes.
Easy Low-Carb Keto Taco Soup
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are translucent and fragrant.
- Add the ground beef and taco seasoning. Break down the ground beef using a meat chopper.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the ground beef is no longer pink. Drain any excess fat if necessary.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes and chilis, and tomato sauce to the pot and stir.
- Lower the heat to Low. Cover the pot and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Open the pot and pour in the heavy cream and stir. I like to taste repeatedly here and add salt and pepper as necessary.
- Serve with toppings.
- Avocado, Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt, Jalapenos, Shredded Cheese, Crumbled Bacon, or Crunchy Parmesan Cheese Whisps
- If adding heavy cream be sure the heat on the pot is set to low setting. Add the cream when the heat is low to avoid it separating from the soup. If fat isn’t drained from the ground beef, this may result in separation as well.
- I like the broth base of this soup and found that it didn’t need thickening for me. If you want to thicken the soup you can add cream cheese or use 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum. Add the xanthan gum to a small bowl with 2 tablespoons of the cooked soup broth. Stir until it thickens and add the mixture back to the pot. Stir until thick.
- You can substitute chicken or ground turkey in this recipe if you wish. For chicken you can use cooked rotisserie chicken or you can cook skinless chicken breasts in an Instant Pot or Slow Cooker.