This Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is a hearty and comforting dish that combines the crispy goodness of bacon with the creamy, gooey perfection of melted cheese, all nestled within a bed of golden, seasoned hashbrowns. Whether you’re preparing a special brunch, celebrating the holidays, or simply craving a cozy morning meal, this recipe is a delicious way to start your day.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here.
If you’re a fan of the Cracker Barrel version, you have to try this recipe. It’s made with simple pantry staple ingredients and requires very little time to prep.
What Type of Hashbrowns to Use
Frozen, store-bought hashbrowns work well in this recipe. I like to read the labels and find the type that isn’t cooked in vegetable oil.
Thaw your potatoes before using them. After thawing, they may release some moisture. Squeeze out excess moisture by placing them in a clean kitchen towel or paper towel and pressing gently. This helps prevent the casserole from becoming too watery.
You can also make your own hashbrowns using fresh, peeled potatoes. Run your potato alongside a cheese grater or mandolin slicer, and you have hashbrowns!
Fresh or Frozen Hashbrowns
Thawing helps the hashbrowns cook more evenly and prevents excess moisture in the casserole. You can thaw them in the refrigerator overnight or speed up the process by using the microwave or cold water thawing methods.
Thawing the hashbrowns will produce a casserole with a more consistent texture, while using them frozen can provide a different texture and possibly save you some time. However, it may not save you much time, because you may also need to increase your bake time as well.
What Type of Cheese to Use
I use a combination of cheddar cheese and mozzarella. Mozzarella melts beautifully and has a smooth, creamy texture. It also has great pull. If you’re looking for a cheese pull, mozzarella is what you need.
You can use whatever you like. Here are more options:
- Monterey Jack: Known for its mild and buttery flavor. It melts smoothly and complements the casserole’s ingredients without overpowering them.
- Colby Cheese: Has a similar flavor profile to cheddar but is typically milder. It’s a good option if you want cheese with a less intense flavor.
- Swiss Cheese: Swiss has a nutty and slightly sweet taste.
- Pepper Jack Cheese: If you enjoy some heat, pepper jack cheese, with its spicy kick from jalapeño peppers, can be a fantastic addition.
- Parmesan Cheese: Grated or shredded Parmesan cheese adds a savory, nutty, and salty flavor to the casserole. It can be used in combination with other cheeses for added depth of flavor.
- Gouda Cheese: This pairs wonderfully with bacon and has a creamy and mild flavor.
How to Make Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Combine sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, softened cream cheese, onions, and spices in a large bowl.
- Add in the hashbrowns and stir.
- Add the hashbrowns mixture to a greased baking dish or cast iron skillet. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon and shredded cheese throughout.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake.
How it Tastes
This casserole has a savory flavor. You will taste the elements of onions, garlic, cheese, and bacon along with the tanginess from the sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. This will make it somewhat similar to a loaded baked potato.
If you aren’t a fan of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, you can use 10 ounces of cream of chicken soup. I have a homemade Cream of Chicken Soup recipe here if you prefer homemade to the canned stuff.
What Type of Pan to Use
A 9×13 inch baking dish or 10.5 inch cast iron skillet will work best. I like to use a cast iron skillet because it ensures crispy edges, which I love.
If using a baking dish, ceramic pans work best. Ceramic pans heat up evenly, which is essential for casserole dishes where ingredients need to cook uniformly. It prevents hot spots and helps to avoid burning or undercooking.
Substitutions, Toppings, and Add-Ins
- Turkey or Chicken
- Bell Peppers
- Feta Cheese
- Hot Sauce
Can You Make it Ahead of Time
You can prepare some of the ingredients ahead of time. Hold off on adding the bacon and the shredded cheese. You want to add these fresh and immediately prior to baking. This ensures the cheese is nice and gooey and melts nicely. This also helps ensure crunchy bacon.
Combine the remaining ingredients and add them to your pan and cover. Place the covered casserole in the refrigerator and store it there until you’re ready to bake it. You can typically refrigerate it for up to 24 hours.
Remove the casserole from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature prior to baking.
How to Store
You can store the casserole tightly covered and sealed in the fridge for 3-4 days.
How to Reheat
You can reheat in the microwave, oven, or air fryer. For the oven and air fryer reheat at 350 degrees until warm.
You can freeze the dish tightly covered and sealed for 2-3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight.
More Breakfast Recipes
If you’re looking for an egg-based breakfast, check out my Low Carb Bacon Egg Casserole recipe.
Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- 1 ½ cups sour cream or plain Greek yogurt I use Greek yogurt for the added protein.
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole Seasoning See notes.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound frozen hashbrowns Thawed and drained.
- 6 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarelle cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, softened cream cheese, onions, and spices in a large bowl. Taste repeatedly and adjust spices to suit your taste. This is important to ensure the casserole isn't bland.1 ½ cups sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, 4 oz cream cheese, 1/2 cup diced onions, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon Creole Seasoning, salt and pepper to taste
- Add in the hashbrowns and stir.1 pound frozen hashbrowns
- Add the hashbrowns mixture to a greased 9×13 baking dish or 10inch cast iron skillet. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon and shredded cheese throughout.6 slices cooked and crumbled bacon, 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, 1 cup grated mozzarelle cheese
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and the cheese if bubbly.foil
- If you like a crunchy cheese topping remove the foil, adjust the temperature on the oven to 400 degrees and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until the cheese has browned.
- Cool before serving.