I have been wanting a Dutch oven for ages. I usually acquire my fun kitchen gadgets during the holiday season so that I can capitalize on the great sales. I purchased my Dutch oven during one of the After-Thanksgiving sales. Perfect timing! My Dutch oven arrived right in time to create a dish for Christmas dinner. Mashed potatoes are typically one of my contributions to holiday dinner.
Here’s a link to the oven I purchased.
For Thanksgiving, I made Holiday Crack Mashed Potatoes. I decided to switch it up a bit with different ingredients. I was also hoping I could save some time using the Dutch oven instead of a conventional since I had a few other holiday dishes to prepare.
I typically use red potatoes, but I used Russet for this recipe. Yukon gold is another great option. I usually spend a lot of time peeling the potatoes, and then more time waiting for them to boil in water on the stove on high heat. Here, I washed the potatoes thoroughly with Trader Joe’s Veggie Wash.
I filled the Dutch oven with salted water and added the unpeeled potatoes. After allowing the potatoes a few minutes to boil, I placed the lid on the oven and adjusted the temperature to low. The potatoes were soft in 15 minutes! I started to mash them immediately since I planned to keep the skin within the mixture. The mashed potatoes were fabulous! I will definitely use this method again.
Pin Me 🙂
Dutch Oven Skin-On Mashed Potatoes with Bacon
- 1 bag of russet potatoes
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2-3 green onions sliced
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fill the Dutch oven with water and add salt (about a teaspoon). Add the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft (test with a fork).
- Drain the water and remove the potatoes.
- Add the milk to the oven and heat on the stove over low heat.
- Add the potatoes and mash with the skins on.
- Add the butter, garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, and whipping cream.
- Stir to combine all of the ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle in the cooked bacon and green onions. Mix.