This skinny, guilt-free pineapple cream cheese wontons recipe was inspired by the wontons I typically enjoy at one of my favorite sushi restaurants. I am almost ashamed to admit which restaurant because it is a chain restaurant. Foodies aren’t supposed to eat at chain restaurants, right? WRONG. I think there is room for exceptions. I do not eat at chains regularly, but there are some good ones out there that are nice to enjoy from time to time. The restaurant has amazing lobster spring rolls as well. Stay tuned, because those may be next on my list!
3 wontons = Calories: 214 Fat: 16G Net Carbs: 20G Protein: 3G
The fat count looks high on the macros above due to the coconut oil used in this recipe. Keep in mind coconut oil is high in the saturated fat from medium-chain triglycerides that help improve cholesterol.
I chose to use pre-made wonton wrappers because my blog focuses on quick and healthy recipes. From time to time, you will find recipes that take more time and are on the “Treat Yourself” and indulge list. I post a bunch of these around the holidays. I am one of the designated cooks in my family. I usually spend a ton of time in the kitchen around the holidays. Easter is this weekend, one of my favorite holidays! You can expect me to be in the kitchen whipping up family favorites! 🙂
I chose to fry the wontons in coconut oil because I used this same method for my Low-Carb Vanilla Protein Donuts recipe. The donuts were amazing! I used Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. Virgin coconut oil usually has a mild flavor and scent. It makes an excellent choice for recipes that require clean and pure fats, yet it does not have a dominating coconut flavor. I am not a fan of coconut flavored desserts, so this is a major plus for me.
The higher the exposure to heat, the more intense the flavor. Because the wontons are fried on medium-high heat there is a slight hint of coconut that is not at all overwhelming. I think this pairs wonderfully with fresh pineapple, cream cheese, and powdered sugar!
Skinny, Guilt Free Pineapple Cream Cheese Wontons
- 8 oz reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup fresh pineapple finely chopped
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil melted
- 21 wonton wrappers
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- Melt the cream cheese and pineapple in a saucepan on medium-high heat. Stir constantly for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is creamy.
- Lay out the wonton wrappers on a working surface. I used a large, bamboo cutting board. Load the pineapple cream cheese mixture onto each wrapper. Be careful not to overfill.
- Fold each wrapper diagonally across to form a triangle. From there close the wrapper, by folding each of the sides (sticking out from the triangle) in. The process is very similar to making paper airplanes.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the coconut oil and it allow to become warm (about 1 minute). Carefully add the folded wontons.
- Fry the wontons on each side for about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the wontons from the skillet. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.