Stuffed Turkey Leg
This Stuffed Turkey Leg recipe is partially inspired by the popular Turkey Leg Hut restaurant creations. These drumsticks are prepared to fall off the bone, all while loaded with cheesy, creamy mac and cheese or your favorite items.
Servings 2 turkey legs
- 2 raw turkey legs Mine weighed about 1/2-3/4 of a pound each
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 tablespoon Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup broth I used chicken.
- 2-3 cups cooked macaroni and cheese
- minced parsley Optional for garnish.
Pat the turkey legs dry and rub both sides with olive oil and liquid smoke. Sprinkle the spices throughout. Rub the spices into both sides of the legs. Ensure the spices completely cover both sides of the drumsticks. Add more spices if necessary.
Pour the broth into the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the seasoned turkey legs over the broth.
Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Ensure the turkey reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees. Use a meat thermometer.
Remove the turkey legs from the slow cooker. (Be careful! They will be tender and may fall off the bone.)I like crispy skin. For crispy skin, you can use either the air fryer (3-4 minutes on 400 degrees) or Broil in the oven for about 3-5 minutes. Cut a slit into the middle of the turkey. Stuff the turkey legs with mac and cheese. You can use this recipe. A lot of the stuffing will fall out along the sides which is normal and great for presentation.
- Liquid smoke is used for added smoky flavor. Omit it if you wish.
- You can also bake or air fry the turkey legs if you don't want to use a slow cooker.
- Instant Pot turkey legs can be cooked for 25 minutes with 10 minutes of natural release of steam.
- You can also season the legs using 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
- I like to save cheese sauce from when I make mac and cheese, to drizzle over the drumsticks. You can also just make more sauce!
Serving: 1leg | Calories: 884kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 82g | Fat: 66g