Easy Beef Empanadas Recipe
This Easy Beef Empanadas Recipe is the perfect appetizer loaded with ground beef, melted cheese, and seasoned to perfection with homemade taco seasoning. The dish comes together quickly using Goya empanadas wrappers. This South American and Puerto Rican dish is perfect for any gathering, including Cinco de Mayo.
Servings 12 empanadas
- 12 Goya Empanadas wrappers thawed
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup shredded Mexican Blend cheese shredded
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
Heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onions to the skillet. Cook until fragrant.
Add the ground beef to the skillet. Season the beef with the seasonings. Using a meat chopper, break up the beef into small pieces. Cook the beef until browned. Drain any excess fat. Add the shredded cheese and stir until melted.
Lay the empanada wrappers on a flat surface. Dip a cooking brush in water. Glaze each of the empanada wrappers with the wet brush along the edges. This will soften the crust and make it easier to roll.
Load the ground beef mixture into the middle of each of the empanadas. Add 1 tablespoon of beef per empanada. Do not overstuff. Flatten out the beef mixture with a spoon.
Close the empanadas. Use a fork to seal the empanadas along the edges by creating indents in the crust. Press the fork down into the crust along the edge of each.
Add an egg to a small bowl and whisk it along with 2 teaspoons of water.
Use a cooking brush and glaze the top of each empanada with the egg wash.
Oven and Baking Instructions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Add the empanadas to a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Allow to cool before serving.
- For the cheese I use a blend of Monterray Jack, Sharp Cheddar, and Queso Blanco.
- If you want really gooey, cheesey empanadas, you will need to add more cheese, consider doubling the amount of cheese.
- I often double this recipe for a crowd, the process photos above reflect doubling the recipe. Simply double every ingredient.
- You can substitute puff pastry if you can't find empanadas wrappers.
- Instead of making your own seasoning, as directed in the recipe, you can purchase store-bought taco seasoning.
Serving: 1empanada | Calories: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 10g