Easy Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta
This Easy Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta recipe is made with andouille sausage, red and green peppers, and covered in a decadent heavy whipping cream sauce, a little similar to Alfredo. If you enjoy spicy, this seafood dish definitely has the kick!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil Divided into 1 teaspoon servings.
- 1 pound raw shrimp Deveined and shells removed.
- 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning Divided into 1/2 tablespoon servings. You can also use Creole Seasoning.
- 4 oz andouille sausage Sliced into 1 inch pieces. You can use more if you like.
- 1/2 cup chopped red peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow or white onions
- 1 cup fire roasted diced tomatoes Drained from a can.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 oz cream cheese Cut into chunks.
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Reggiano Cheese
Place the shrimp in a bowl along with 1/2 tablespoon of Cajun or Creole Seasoning. Mix to ensure the shrimp is fully coated. Heat a skillet or pan on medium high heat. I use a cast iron skillet. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the pan.
When hot, add the shrimp to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until it turns bright pink. Remove the shrimp and set aside.
Add an additional teaspoon of olive oil to the pan along with the chopped sausage, onions, green peppers, and red peppers.
Saute for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the onions are translucent and fragrant. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.
Reduce the heat on the pan to medium. Add the butter to the pan and allow it to melt.
Add in the heavy cream, almond milk, cream cheese, the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of Cajun or Creole Seasoning, and Parmesan Reggiano Cheese.
Continue to stir the sauce until all of the cheese has fully melted. The cream cheese may take some time to melt. Add in the fire roasted tomatoes and stir. Allow the mixture to cook for 2 minutes.
Add the shrimp, sausage, vegetables, and pasta to the pan and stir. Allow the pasta to cook for 4-5 minutes until combined.
- Macros noted above are for the low carb option. Here are the macros if regular pasta is used: Cals: 501 Fat:29G Net Carbs:32G Protein: 25G
- If you are looking for an option that's less spicy Creole Seasoning may work better for you than Cajun.
- You can omit the andouille sausage if you want (it is the source of a lot of flavor in the recipe) or substitute it for chicken sausage, turkey sausage, bacon, or turkey bacon.
- To prepare the shrimp, vegetables, and cream sauce, you can use any skillet you wish. I prefer to use a cast-iron skillet. It adds a blackened layer to the shrimp that I love.
- You can substitute almond milk for whatever you prefer.
- You can omit the tomatoes if you wish, this will reduce the carbs in the recipe.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 384kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 28g