Easy Southern Fried Cabbage
Easy Southern Fried Cabbage is the best, quick recipe for shredded and pan fried green cabbage. This post outlines how to fry cabbage using bacon and onions for flavor. This simple side dish is similar to a stir fry, making it perfect for weeknight dinners!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 8 servings
- 1 head fresh cabbage
- 4 slices bacon (chopped into pieces)
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/3 cup chopped red peppers
- 1/3 cup chopped green peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
Slice the cabbage in half to create 2 portions. Slice the core/stem out of both. Then slice each piece in half. You should have 4 smaller chunks of cabbage. From there, slice each into smaller strips. Set the cabbage aside.
Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and add the chopped bacon. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the bacon is crisp.
Use a slotted spoon and remove the bacon from the bacon. Reserve the bacon drippings.
Add the onions, green peppers, and red peppers to the skillet. Saute' for 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent and fragrant. Add in the minced garlic and stir.
Sprinkle the Creole Seasoning, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to taste throughout.
Top with the chopped cabbage. Add the cabbage in batches. It will wilt down a ton. Stir to ensure everything is combined. If you are using a small pan you will need to go slow until the cabbage wilts.
Cover the skillet and lower the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes until the cabbage has wilted and softened.
Serve with the cooked bacon.
- You can substitute the Creole Seasoning for crushed red pepper if you wish.
- You can also substitute turkey bacon, sausage or smoked turkey if you wish. Andouille sausage works great. If you use turkey, you will probably have to add butter to your pan to fry the cabbage. Turkey bacon and smoked turkey, often do not produce as much oil for frying.
- 1 head of cabbage is a large amount and will produce 8 servings. You can use less cabbage if you wish.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 57kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g