Instant Pot Potato Salad
This Easy Instant Pot Potato Salad only takes 4 minutes to cook and you can boil your eggs in the pot at the same time! Serve chilled and sprinkle with paprika for a final touch.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 pounds russet potatoes peeled and sliced into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 eggs
- 1 large bowl of cold water For egg bath, ice added to the water is optional
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup white onions chopped
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Add the water to the Instant Pot. Place the Instant Pot on the saute' function. This will allow the water to warm so that it comes to pressure sooner.
While the water heats up slice the potatoes.
Add the Steamer basket to the pot. Place the potatoes on top of the basket. Season the potatoes with about 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Place the eggs on the very top of the potatoes.
Close the pot and seal. Cook for 4 minutes on Manual > High-Pressure Cooking.
When the Instant Pot indicates it has finished cooking, quick release the steam.
Remove the eggs and place them in the bowl of cold water for 5 minutes.
Remove the potatoes and transfer to a large bowl.
Peel the eggs and slice into small cubes.
Add the cooked eggs, mayo, mustard, relish, white onions, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste to the bowl with the potatoes. Taste repeatedly. You may need to add additional salt and pepper. (If you prefer sweet potato salad add a little more relish and maybe sugar.)
Stir to combine.
Cover and chill for at least an hour to two hours before serving.
- The potatoes won't have the firm texture if you don't use the steamer basket.
- When you slice the potatoes, they need to be equal in size. Otherwise, smaller potatoes will cook faster and result in mushy potatoes.
- I use russet potatoes. You can use other potatoes like red potatoes or Yukon gold, but these have less starch. They are more likely to mush in the Instant Pot.
- You can double the recipe with no change to cook time.
- This is a dish that you will want to add your ingredients (especially the seasonings) a little bit at a time, and then taste repeatedly to determine if it needs a little bit of anything else.
- Potatoes need seasoning. You will have to salt and pepper to taste or the dish will be bland.
- Pickle relish is used to add pickle flavor along with a hint of sweetness. If you like sweet potato salad, add sugar or sweetener. Taste repeatedly and adjust as necessary.
- You can omit the eggs if you wish.
- You can substitute mayo for plain Greek yogurt or sour cream if you wish.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 247kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 20g