Easy Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
These Easy Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas are made Southern-style using your pressure cooker and perfect for Sunday dinners and the New Year's holiday. This no soak recipe uses 1 pound of dried beans seasoned with smoked turkey.
Servings 10 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound bag dried black eyed peas rinsed
- 1 smoked turkey leg About 1 pound to 1 1/2 pounds, fully cooked, You can find turkey legs and wings at most grocers. See notes for substitutions.
- 1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- bay leaf
Place the Instant Pot on the saute function and add the olive oil.
When hot add the onions and garlic. Saute until translucent and fragrant.
Add in the chicken broth, black eyed peas, smoked turkey leg, Creole seasoning, and bay leaf. Stir.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal. Cook for 30 minutes Manual > High Pressure.
When the pot indicates it has finished, allow steam to release naturally for 10 minutes.
Open up the pot and remove the bay leaf and smoked turkey leg. If you like meat in your black eyed peas, use 2 forks and shred the turkey and return it to the pot. Taste repeatedly and add salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Serve the black eyed peas using a slotted spoon.
- I find smoked turkey in the meat section of the grocery store. Ask around if you can't find it or use a substitute noted below.
- You can use ham hocks, salt pork, country ham, or even bacon to season the greens. If you are planning to use bacon I recommend that you cook the bacon in the Instant Pot on the Saute' function, and omit the olive oil used in this recipe. Cook the onions in the bacon fat.
- You can substitute Creole Seasoning for 1/4 teaspoon of paprika, dried thyme, dried oregano, and dried basil.
- You can double the ingredients in the recipe. The cook time will remain the same.
- To make these without an Instant Pot, soak the beans overnight. Add all of the ingredients to a large pot or Dutch oven. Cover and simmer on low for 3-4 hours until soft.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 119kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 2g