Instant Pot Homemade Southern BBQ Baked Beans
Instant Pot Homemade Southern BBQ Baked Beans is the best, easy pressure cooker recipe that will show you how to make baked beans in the Instant Pot from scratch and with no soak beans. This healthy version allows you to ditch those canned pork n beans for dried navy beans or pinto beans. Feel free to add ground beef, bacon, or brisket.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz dried navy beans or pinto beans I used navy beans
- 4 slices bacon cut into inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup bbq sauce For a lightened up version use unsweetened
- 1/2 cup ketchup For a lightened up version use unsweetened
- 2-4 tablespoons brown sugar I used Swerve Zero-Calorie. If you prefer mild baked beans start with 2 tablespoons and taste repeatedly. Add more as needed. 4 tablespoons will result in sweet baked beans.
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Watch the video instructions below.
Add the chicken broth to the pot with the dried beans. You can also use water, but broth has more flavor.
Cook the beans on Manual > High-Pressure Cooking for 25 minutes.
When the pot indicate it has finished, allow steam to release naturally for 25 minutes.
Open the pot, drain the beans and rinse them.
Place the Instant Pot on the Saute function and add the sliced bacon. Cook the bacon until browned on both sides. Remove the bacon from the pot. Drain the fat from the bacon, but reserve about a teaspoon of fat in the Instant Pot.
Add the chopped onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent and fragrant.
Add the beans back to the pot with the bbq sauce, ketchup, half of the cooked bacon, chili powder, brown sweetener, liquid smoke, salt, and pepper to taste.
Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently so the pot does not scorch.
Turn the Instant Pot off the Saute function. Allow the beans to cool for 2-3 minutes.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot for 10 minutes. This will thicken up the mixture.
Serve and top with the remaining half of cooked bacon.
If you prefer to make your own BBQ sauce, here is a link to my Low-Carb Homemade BBQ Sauce.
Instant Pot Baked Beans Recipe Tips
- The way to get amazing tasting beans, that taste the way YOU want them to taste is to taste repeatedly throughout the cooking process. If you like sweet beans, use more sugar. If you like your beans to have a tang, add a little yellow mustard or apple cider vinegar.
- The BBQ sauce is the star of this dish. Use your favorite BBQ sauce. Most sauces are loaded in sugar, so be cognizant of that if you want a healthy version. I have linked my Unsweetened BBQ sauce recipe above.
- If you like your beans soft to the point they are mushy, you can pressure cook them for 10 minutes after adding the BBQ sauce and remaining ingredients. You may encounter the Burn signal, depending on which Instant Pot model you have. If so, you will have to add additional liquid to the pot (i.e. chicken broth) and afterward, you will have to thicken up the mixture. See notes below on thickening.
- You can add the beans to a 375 degrees oven for 10 minutes if you wish.
- Feel free to add whatever meat you like. Here in Kansas City, this dish is often prepared with BBQ brisket.
How to Thicken the Sauce of Baked Beans in Instant Pot
I thicken the sauce by placing the lid of the Instant Pot over the cooked baked beans. I let them sit for about 10 minutes and they thicken right up. If you like them thicker, you can try making a slurry of 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water. Combine them in a bowl first and add it to the mixture.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 2g