Skinny Spinach and Meat Stuffed Shells make the perfect pasta dish. A common misconception is that you can’t enjoy pasta while eating healthy. Certainly, there are limitations. A lot relies on what your goals are and how you are working to achieve them. This recipe is very easy to pack for meal prep purposes.
Calories: 488 Fat: 19.5G Net Carbs: 41G Protein: 32G
Skinny Spinach and Meat Stuffed Shells
- 12 Jumbo Shells Barilla or any brand
- 1/2 pound ground beef Trader Joe’s
- ¾ of 32 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup red onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 ½ cups part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups frozen spinach thawed
- ¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- Kosher salt seasoning salt, and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Boil shells in water according to the directions on the package. Remove from water and allow to cool.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and cook until fragrant.
- Add the ground beef, salts and pepper. Cook until brown and break up the beef into small pieces.
- Add the tomatoes and basil.
- Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes.
- Combine ricotta, egg, spinach, Parmesan, and mozzarella in a bowl.
- Fill each shell with the cheese and spinach mixture.
- Place half of the ground beef sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Top with the stuffed shells.
- Pour the remaining half of the ground beef mixture over the shells.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Then, remove foil and bake for an additional 5 -10 minutes.